I don't even know where to begin...there's so much to say!
We brought Adelyn, Ellie and Quincy all home Thursday evening. I was nervous all day I must admit - having knots in my belly and just feeling ill. I think I was just super nervous about caring for all three and having them off all their monitors. It hit me all at once. I was mentally prepared for Friday or possibly this weekend but on Thursday mid morning the pediatrician called and said there's no need to keep them because there's nothing they're doing in the nursery that we couldn't do at home (feedings, changing diapers, snuggles basically). They had several criteria to pass before coming home 1) No "true" episodes shown on their monitors for 5 days 2) Must be feeding well and gaining weight 3) Must be able to regulate their own body temps outside their isolettes 4) Pass car seat tests. They passed all 4 of these criteria and were doing so well they had bumped them to coming home Thursday. It was great news but it also made me nervous. I asked "are you sure they are doing okay to come home? What about Ellie (she is the tiniest after all and wasn't feeding as well or gaining as the other two)?" The doctor reassured me they were all great and we should pick them up when we were ready sometime that day and they were getting the discharge papers in order! This is no time to freak out! Okay, I was freaking out! :) The day was here. I couldn't believe it.
Clint and I had planned on going to our 8th year anniversary dinner on Thursday night (our anniversary was on July 7th - Wednesday) because he was preping to take his board exam Wednesday evening. It's been a crazy couple of weeks let me tell ya.
-Admitted to the hospital unexpectidly at 33 weeks 4 days.
-Having to stay until delivery day (unexpected too) on Sunday July 27th
-Being on mag sulfate (have to add this one in there because it was a big part of why it took me so long to even start recovering-that stuff does pretty horrible things to your body-horrible!- I was totally "out of it" for like 3 days)
-Whirlwind of Ellie and Clinton having to be in NICU away from Adelyn in nursery for 3 days (don't get me wrong we're super fortunate it was only that short time in the NICU), some (but very little) help from CPAP's, feeding tubes, bili lights ect.
-Clint having to prepare for and take board exam on Thursday
I'm exhausted just thinkgin about and typing all of that! Recovery hasn't been so much fun. Whoever told me c-section recovery is a sinch was lying. ;) I think without the mag I would have done better but I still feel pretty sore. I'm up and moving around and can care for babies now so I guess that's all that should matter. The c-section itself was a breeze. In fact, I told Clint during or just after it that "I could do this again." And I could...I didn't know how terribly awful I'd feel only moments/days later...but the section I could do again. Ha.
As far as feedings everyone has their own "issues." Ellie sticks her tounge to the roof of her mouth and we've had to learn how to get her to eat right/suck. She also is super sleepy at feedings and needs "chin support" as she drops her chin and has a weak suck. She's learning and doing better though. Adelyn was our champion eater/sucker/grower...until we realized she may have reflux poor thing. Today's feedings have gone well and we hope to be able to cater to her to minimize her spit ups. Clinton has this incredible lock jaw! Jaws of steal!! Its crazy! It sometimes takes 2 people to open his mouth. Once the nipple is in he's a guzzler...a good or a bad thing. Good because he's eating, bad because he forgets to breathe. So, they're all doing well and growing (so says the scale at our first pediatrician's appotintmetn yesterday morning) but its a slow process.
Everyone is taking breastmilk which makes me really proud of myself. I always had a fear I wouldn't produce milk or if I did I wouldn't have enough but oh my goodness we have a ton! We may even need to freeze some! I cannot believe it! God made women's bodies amazing. I just keep asking myself "how in the world does my body know (hormones I guess) I need enough for three?" Because the amount is a lot! :) I was going to be fine or okay at least with formula...I just was really happy and proud about my milk production. Its a big deal to me I guess.
Okay, well for now I need to go do the next feeding but I will have to write more later.
Thanks for all your comments! We love reading them :) -Rach
We brought Adelyn, Ellie and Quincy all home Thursday evening. I was nervous all day I must admit - having knots in my belly and just feeling ill. I think I was just super nervous about caring for all three and having them off all their monitors. It hit me all at once. I was mentally prepared for Friday or possibly this weekend but on Thursday mid morning the pediatrician called and said there's no need to keep them because there's nothing they're doing in the nursery that we couldn't do at home (feedings, changing diapers, snuggles basically). They had several criteria to pass before coming home 1) No "true" episodes shown on their monitors for 5 days 2) Must be feeding well and gaining weight 3) Must be able to regulate their own body temps outside their isolettes 4) Pass car seat tests. They passed all 4 of these criteria and were doing so well they had bumped them to coming home Thursday. It was great news but it also made me nervous. I asked "are you sure they are doing okay to come home? What about Ellie (she is the tiniest after all and wasn't feeding as well or gaining as the other two)?" The doctor reassured me they were all great and we should pick them up when we were ready sometime that day and they were getting the discharge papers in order! This is no time to freak out! Okay, I was freaking out! :) The day was here. I couldn't believe it.
Clint and I had planned on going to our 8th year anniversary dinner on Thursday night (our anniversary was on July 7th - Wednesday) because he was preping to take his board exam Wednesday evening. It's been a crazy couple of weeks let me tell ya.
-Admitted to the hospital unexpectidly at 33 weeks 4 days.
-Having to stay until delivery day (unexpected too) on Sunday July 27th
-Being on mag sulfate (have to add this one in there because it was a big part of why it took me so long to even start recovering-that stuff does pretty horrible things to your body-horrible!- I was totally "out of it" for like 3 days)
-Whirlwind of Ellie and Clinton having to be in NICU away from Adelyn in nursery for 3 days (don't get me wrong we're super fortunate it was only that short time in the NICU), some (but very little) help from CPAP's, feeding tubes, bili lights ect.
-Clint having to prepare for and take board exam on Thursday
I'm exhausted just thinkgin about and typing all of that! Recovery hasn't been so much fun. Whoever told me c-section recovery is a sinch was lying. ;) I think without the mag I would have done better but I still feel pretty sore. I'm up and moving around and can care for babies now so I guess that's all that should matter. The c-section itself was a breeze. In fact, I told Clint during or just after it that "I could do this again." And I could...I didn't know how terribly awful I'd feel only moments/days later...but the section I could do again. Ha.
As far as feedings everyone has their own "issues." Ellie sticks her tounge to the roof of her mouth and we've had to learn how to get her to eat right/suck. She also is super sleepy at feedings and needs "chin support" as she drops her chin and has a weak suck. She's learning and doing better though. Adelyn was our champion eater/sucker/grower...until we realized she may have reflux poor thing. Today's feedings have gone well and we hope to be able to cater to her to minimize her spit ups. Clinton has this incredible lock jaw! Jaws of steal!! Its crazy! It sometimes takes 2 people to open his mouth. Once the nipple is in he's a guzzler...a good or a bad thing. Good because he's eating, bad because he forgets to breathe. So, they're all doing well and growing (so says the scale at our first pediatrician's appotintmetn yesterday morning) but its a slow process.
Everyone is taking breastmilk which makes me really proud of myself. I always had a fear I wouldn't produce milk or if I did I wouldn't have enough but oh my goodness we have a ton! We may even need to freeze some! I cannot believe it! God made women's bodies amazing. I just keep asking myself "how in the world does my body know (hormones I guess) I need enough for three?" Because the amount is a lot! :) I was going to be fine or okay at least with formula...I just was really happy and proud about my milk production. Its a big deal to me I guess.
Okay, well for now I need to go do the next feeding but I will have to write more later.
Thanks for all your comments! We love reading them :) -Rach
I have so enjoyed following your blog the last few weeks and wanted to finally say congratulations! Your babies (and mommy) are beautiful and I think it is so amazing that you are willing and able to give them solely breastmilk. Such a blessing! Can't wait to watch them grow...you're such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing. :)
ReplyDeleteWoW Rach! What to say? Thanks so much for the update. I know that at least where we live, we can't be around to help or see you all the time so to me these updates get me inside your world and the happenings of your blessed family! Thanks for posting pictures and blogging as you can -- it amazes me you're doing anything online with so much lack of sleep! Wow how God has blessed you! Take care and get some sleep! Love ya girl!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're doing awesome! It's so great to hear that the babies are doing so well! I continue to pray for your family and love seeing the pictures.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are amazing! And, that's really great that you're able to give them breast milk!
ReplyDeleteYAY for the breast milk! Welcome to the world of DAIRY QUEENS!
ReplyDeletePRaise God for LOTS of breast milk! What a blessing. Lots of water and lots of rest in the months to come will keep that supply going. If your milk ever slacks off, think of those 2 things (water/rest) first and make sure you can check those off the list : )
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to update. Our kiddos are loving the pictures and updates. This gets them so excited about our journey.