Grandma (Roy) died yesterday afternoon, she was 91. I know she looked forward to the day when she could see Jesus face to face and she would tell me so nearly as often as I saw her for the last several years. She was happy with her home and large beautiful family here on earth but I know she missed her husband, Uncle Gary, Uncle Darwin, Aunt Millie, her sisters and more and wanted to be with them and also be without all the pain she felt in the end as her body wore down.
Even though I'm happy for Grandma right now I still can't help but be sad just because we were so close and she took me under her wing and I just miss her so much already. I knew this day would come and it finally has and I'm so glad I have so many great memories of her. The most difficult part, besides missing her physical presence now, is that even growing up as a child myself I always wanted Grandma to be able to hold my babies. I wanted them to at least have photos together even if she did pass away before they could remember much about her at their young age. Grandma knew though we were having three babies and I will never forget making that phone call to tell her. She was so funny! Once I finally was able to tell her we were pregnant with "a" baby (it was hard for her to hear over the phone and I repeated it like 100 times) ;) I said "Grandma, we're having more than one baby!" She kind of fumbled and I think she thought she heard me wrong and said "more than one baby?!" I told her yes and she said in her adorable little voice "well, how many are ya having?! Two?!" Ha, oh it was so funny to hear her reaction! I said "No Grandma. Not two." She was even more confused now. She was like "uh, wh-what do ya mean not two? I don't understand." I told her to make sure she was sitting down and then came the shocker. "Grandma, we're having three babies! We're having triplets!" I can't help but laugh (even though there are tears streaming down my face) just thinking about her facial expression or what was going through her mind! "Three babies! Oh my-oh! Oh my goodness! You're gonna have three babies?!" I told her yes and the next thing she said was "wow" or something followed by "did you take those shots?" lol!!! Oh Grandma, you are such a character! I told her we did "take shots" whatever that meant to her I'm not 100% sure, but she understood we had help from a fertility doctor and that was really all she probably could handle knowing at that point anyway. :) To be honest I didn't think she even knew a thing about reproductive medicine but maybe she watched a 20/20 on it one day or something :) lol! "Those shots!" I love it. Aunt Katie was there when I'd called Grandma to tell her and she later told me Grandma hung up the phone and told her she needed to go lay down for a little bit. Apparently she didn't go take a nap in her blue chair like usual but she went to her bedroom and took a long afternoon nap in her bed! Trust me Grandma, that's what we did when we found out too! Haha! :) Oh, I wish so much you could have met our little ones but more importantly, I wish that they could have met you and known you. You are so special to me. As I always told you from an early age Grandma "You're my favorite person in the whole wide world" and you still are! You helped shape the person I am and I am so grateful and I love you so much! The legacy you leave it the most important and the only true lasting thing and that's your faith. Because of you our parents (aunts and uncles, cousins and many others) believed in Christ and live their lives according to God's truth and I am eternally grateful and so blessed I was taught what it means to believe and live a life that is Christ-like.
I'm going to miss you more than you might ever know. Our children will know everything about you because I will tell them and we'll never forget the love you showed us and the memories we made together. I love you Grandma. Goodbye until I reach the other side of heaven.
Your Granddaughter, Rachel Elizabeth
"When I get where I'm going, don't cry for me down here..."
Oh Rachel that is just precious! I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was truly amazing! She will hold your babies one day. They may be alot bigger than her by then, but she will. Jon and I say that my dad and his grandma were pleading with God up in heaven and had something to do with sending us "triplets". We need to try harder to teach our kids those memories and life lessons our loved ones taught us and keep them alive. God bless you and Clint during this time!
ReplyDeleteSending huge hugs your way. That's the way I feel about my grandma too. She had a stroke last week so I can imagine how you are feeling.
ReplyDeleteAnn Marie
I am so sorry for your loss Rachel - but I am happy that you have such sweet and vivid memories to hold on to during this tough time. Your Grandma sounds like an amazing woman. You and your family are in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteKathleen